Welcome to my contribution for this week and a thank you to Yowie for Wednesdays work. We are all looking forward to the next four weeks of international Rugby and I will touch on some of the opposition this week. I also go down a bit of a rabbit hole so apologies. Scotland name 14 […]
AFL draft 2021 picks: Date, prospects, who Hawthorn will take, North Melbourne, Essendon, Fremantle,
With the trade period behind them, AFL clubs have now turned their attention to this year’s national draft – and some will be utilising it more than others.
Brazilian soccer great Pele, not long out of the hospital after surgery to remove a tumour, has told fans to start celebrating his life because he was getting “closer to the goal”.
“I suggest you start to catch your breath to celebrate with me, because with each passing day I get closer to the goal,” Pele wrote on Twitter.
He did not give any details, but the former Brazil, Santos and New York Cosmos player, who will be 81 on October 23, has been in poor health for some time.
He is undergoing chemotherapy following September’s tumour surgery.
Sugiro que comece a pegar fôlego para comemorar comigo, porque a cada dia que passa eu estou mais perto do gol.
I suggest you start to catch your breath to celebrate with me, because with each passing day I get closer to the goal. pic.twitter.com/lqC8oatENY
— Pelé (@Pele) October 20, 2021
That ailment came after hip and kidney problems as well as what his son Edinho last year said was a bout with depression, something Pele later denied.
Widely considered to be one the greatest players of all time, Pele is the only soccer player to hold three World Cup winner’s medals, lifting the trophy with Brazil in 1958, 1962 and 1970.
He scored more than 1000 goals in a glittering career and transcended sport to become of the most recognisable faces on the planet.
The post ‘Closer to the goal’: Ailing Pele sends chilling message to fans appeared first on The New Daily.
The trial of Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema for attempted blackmail linked to a sex tape featuring his former France teammate Mathieu Valbuena has started in Versailles.
Benzema was not present in court, with his lawyers citing his professional obligations.
He played with Real in the Champions League against Shakhtar Donetsk in Kiev the previous night, and faces a Spanish League Clasico against Barcelona on Sunday.
The 33-year-old Benzema is accused of being complicit in the attempt to blackmail Valbuena, who was threatened in a phone call in June 2015 with the publication of the video.
Benzema was allegedly involved in “aiding and abetting an extortion attempt.”
He faces up to five years in prison and a fine of 75,000 euros ($113,000), according to prosecutors.
Four other men said to be involved in the affair are also charged at the trial that is expected to last until Friday.
Due to the involvement in the affair, Benzema missed the 2016 European Championship in France, its World Cup win in 2018 and only returned to the national team this summer.
The player’s defence has rejected the allegations and on Tuesday the L’Equipe sports daily again quoted his lawyers demanding he be cleared.
The post Real Madrid star Karim Benzema absent as blackmail trial begins appeared first on The New Daily.
Olympic boxing medallist Harry Garside has lured legendary trainer Johnny Lewis out of retirement as he makes the transition to the professional ranks.
Garside won bronze in Tokyo to become Australia’s first boxing medallist since Grahame ‘Spike’ Cheney in 1988.
And the lightweight wonder is now chasing boxing’s big dollars, joining Australia’s swelling ranks of promising professionals that include Tim Tszyu, George Kambosos Jr and Justis Huni.
Lewis, 77, has steered the careers of six world champions, most notably Jeff Fenech, Jeff Harding and Kostya Tszyu and continues to maintain close links to the fight game.
Honoured to be on @markbouris podcast, straight talk.
Keen for you all to listen when it drops pic.twitter.com/MzBeH2cPtr
— Harry Garside (@HarryGarside2) October 15, 2021
Garside, 24, has relocated from Melbourne to Bondi Beach to train under Lewis and will announce the news at a press conference on Thursday morning.
He is expected to confirm his first fight before Christmas.
The post Boxer Harry Garside to link with trainer Johnny Lewis appeared first on The New Daily.
Steve Bruce has left his position as Newcastle United manager by mutual consent, just two weeks after the Premier League club was taken over by a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium.
“#NUFC can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent. The club would like to place on record its gratitude to Steve for his contribution and wishes him well for the future,” the club said in a statement.
The Premier League announced this month Newcastle had been sold to a consortium led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF).
Bruce had said following the change of ownership he would understand if he was replaced but he was allowed to take charge of the 1000th match in his managerial career when Newcastle hosted Tottenham Hotspur in the league, losing 3-2 on Sunday.
#NUFC can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent.
The club would like to place on record its gratitude to Steve for his contribution and wishes him well for the future.
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) October 20, 2021
The signs were ominous, however, with the club’s new director Amanda Staveley saying “change does not always happen overnight”.
“I am grateful to everyone connected with Newcastle United for the opportunity to manage this unique football club,” Bruce said in a club statement.
“I would like to thank my coaching team, the players and the support staff in particular for all their hard work.
“There have been highs and lows, but they have given everything even in difficult moments and should be proud of their efforts.”
Newcastle said Graeme Jones will lead the team on an interim basis, starting with Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace, and will be supported by the coaching team of Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence, Ben Dawson and Simon Smith.
“The process of recruiting a new head coach is under way and an appointment will be announced in due course. The club will not be making further comment at this time,” the club said.
Winless Newcastle is currently second-last in the 20-team top flight with just three points from eight matches.
The post Manager Steve Bruce quits Premier League’s Newcastle United appeared first on The New Daily.
Australia is set to be without a seasoned back-up pace option for the Ashes after James Pattinson reportedly retired from Test cricket.
According to a report in The Australian, the 31-year-old has told selectors he no longer wants to be considered for Test cricket.
For so long Australia’s next-choice quick, Pattinson battled injuries throughout his career and was restricted to just 21 Tests.
That came after he burst onto the scene against New Zealand in 2011, taking five-wicket hauls in each of his first two matches.
James Pattinson has retired from Test cricket
— 7Cricket (@7Cricket) October 20, 2021
But he has managed just two Tests since February 2016, after battling recurring injuries and falling behind Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood.
Most recently, he missed out on playing in last summer’s final Test against India after hurting himself mowing the lawn on a break away from the team’s bubble.
It means he has finished with 81 wickets at an average of 26.33.
Pattinson had indicated last month he was close to the end of his Test career.
“This year, if I’m being honest, it’s probably one of my last cracks at it,” he told cricket.com.au.
“I’m going to try and play in the Ashes and see how I go.
“The hardest part as you get older is that you want to try and enjoy your cricket as well. You put all your attention into playing cricket for Australia and at some stage, that finishes.”
His retirement means Australia will not have a back-up pace option behind Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood who have played more than two Tests.
Instead the uncapped Michael Neser and Sean Abbott are the two most likely options as well as two-Test player Jhye Richardson.
The post Paceman James Pattinson retires from Test scene: Report appeared first on The New Daily.