The Hottest Sprintcar Driver In Australia Right Now To Saddle Up In The Monte Motorsports #17 Sprintcar This Saturday Night.
Regional Sports News
Dack, the son of Top Doorslammer drag racer Marty Dack, has been a convert to the clay oval since taking a friend’s Sprintcar for some laps in Geraldton.
“A long time family friend decided to go Limited Sprintcar racing so I decided to go and give him a hand,” Dack explained. “The opportunity arose to take it for a spin and from then on I was hooked! I purchased a car and a Limited engine and instantly knew this was for me, but I wanted more power so I stepped it up to a 360.
“Coming from a drag racing background the step into speedway was definitely a shock to my family and peers. Some of the crew still can’t even get over the fact that we are doing this!”
With years on the quarter mile as part of his Dad’s supercharged team, Dack said the hunger for more power must be running in his blood.
“Racing has been a big part of Dad’s life and I’m just trying to follow his footsteps,” he said. “The 360 served us well but the drag racing experience came out in full and I needed that extra power, so the 410 is now where we are.
“Going into the last meeting we tested with the 360 at a Wednesday test night but the temptation got the better of the team and in went the 410 for round five of the Maddington Toyota Sprintcar Series. The hot laps for the City of Kwinana Cup were the first time I have driven with the power of the 410 and it’s a whole new animal and I’m just trying to tame it.
“I think there is a big difference between the two, even though on the track it doesn’t look like a lot. You can really feel it in the car.”
Well aware that his driving experience is limited, Dack said he has been trying to get as much seat time as possible and taking his time to learn what it takes for speed in circles, as opposed to straight lines.
“I think the key to going fast at the Motorplex is definitely to try and be as smooth as possible and let the car do the work. We are new to corners and clay but the crew is adapting and slowly getting the car’s set up to exactly where it needs to be.
“Realistically this is our first season, as I only got to do one show last season. We haven’t had a perfect start but we are having a great time and can’t wait to see what the rest of the season holds.”
Dack is keen to be alongside some of Australia’s greatest speedway drivers, including Kerry Madsen, and maybe picking up a few tips along the way.
“It’s really exciting to be out there racing against all the great talents of the sport. I think it definitely pushes you to a new level knowing they who’s racing by your side but at the same time I’m just racing my own race and trying to get the best result for the team that I can.”
The WA Sprintcar Title takes place as part of a triple header that also includes the $50,000 John Day Speedcar Classic and Team GB vs Team Australia Speedway Solos in what promises to be one of the best events of the season at Perth Motorplex. The action starts from 5pm and tickets are available online at motorplex.com.au.
Story Credit – Luke Nieuwhof
Photo Credit – Peter Roebuck
The post “Dack Attack” steps up to 410 for WA Sprintcar Title! appeared first on Perth Motorplex.
Perth is blessed to have one of the world’s great drag racing venues in its own backyard. This Saturday’s epic Summer Slam plus the WA Drag Racing Championships sees the ultimate in high horsepower entertainment ready to rock the Motorplex!
Here are our 25 reasons why you need to be at Perth Motorplex this Saturday.
- Perth Motorplex is one of the most comfortable venues for spectators in the world. Whether you want to roll out a blanket on the manicured grass terraces or take a seat in the gold section, there are options for everyone, with food and toilet facilities a close walk away for every seat in the house.
- Only $25 to get in! Yes that’s right, there is silver admission tickets available for just $25 this Saturday. That includes entry into the pits!
- Ten Top Doorslammers are ready to battle for the opening round of the Summer Slam! Can the likes of Marty Dack, Mark Chapman, Pino Priolo, the Moresby brothers, Steve Aldridge and Matt Abel take on the might of Zappia, Lyle and Gregorini?
- John Zappia vs Daniel Gregorini: it’s the rivalry everyone is talking about! Will Zappia show why he is king or will Gregorini prove the next generation is here? Be there and find out with the wild 5.6 second racing.
- Kelvin Lyle is the dark horse, or should that be dark horsepower, following a mind bending 260mph+ run recently at the Motorplex. Watch this Ford Mustang lay some top-end smack down!
- Mark Chapman’s stunning Plymouth Fury has been made all the more stunning thanks to the team’s ambassador Michelle Dolan, who recently took out the Mrs Galaxy Australia pageant. She’ll provide some added glamour to the golden Plymouth!
- Nitro Bikes are back delivering 300kmh thrills on two wheels, the wildest rides in drag racing.
- Andrew Katavatis and the Beach Bomb are ready to tear up the track and are focused on knocking out some mid five second runs in their Nitro Camaro.
- Matt Abel is back after his crazy Nitro Funny Car explosion last season. He’s driving the Nitro Thunder Trans Am.
- Brodie Pilkington will be making laps in a Nitro Funny Car for the first time – can the former Top Alcohol Funny Car driver make the switch?
- Connor Begley’s sweeeeet Holden HQ one tonner is ready to go in Outlaw Radial, with supercharged LS engine power pushing for some eight second laps.
- Connor McClure’s controversial Barra-powered Holden Torana will hit the track for the first time. After just missing the opening of the season he will be more than ready to make some quick turbocharged runs.
- Speaking of Barras, see Errol Quartermaine in one of Australia’s quickest Barra-powered drag cars in Super Comp!
- The banging rotaries of Todd Stacy and Brett Glover have a startline show like no other, keep an eye out for the two step flames that sound like a machine gun going off.
- The Hudson family and Supercharged Outlaws just go together so well! Tim Hudson’s classic Olds Starfire Funny Car is going to deliver big burnouts, as is tradition.
- With 33 entries in Super Street, this sportsman field is going to be super tough. Young rookies, ruthless veterans – who will be going home with the trophy and the prizemoney?
- Daniel Natalotto’s D/MB is shooting for more track records – you won’t believe how quick Natalotto will go with just 599cc underneath!
- There’s a 30 degree forecast right now, meaning absolutely perfect conditions for drag racing. Look out for records!
- At Perth Motorplex you can pre-purchase tickets and skip the queue, make your race day as smooth as possible!
- Enjoy our many catering options or bring your own – a night out at the Motorplex is great for families. Just remember, no glass.
- At only half an hour from the Perth central business district, Perth Motorplex has one of the best locations in the world. No matter where you live, it doesn’t take long to get to this amazing venue.
- There will be giveaways along the spectator fence for the kids, keep watch for the Perth Motorplex commentary team!
- See the action replays on one of the biggest screens at any drag strip in the world, or even yourself with our fun dance cams and more.
- The pits are open and accessible, making it easy to meet your favourite teams. Take the time to see the race cars and bikes up close, get autographs and experience the horsepower.
- We’re going to mention it again – only $25 to get in! Make the Summer Slam and WA Drag Racing Championships on Saturday, November 30 at Perth Motorplex your motorsport night out!
For more information or to grab your tickets online (no extra booking fee) head over TO THE WEBSITE HERE
The post Twenty Five Reasons to Get to Perth Motorplex this Saturday appeared first on Perth Motorplex.
The WA Summer Slam Series kicks off this Saturday at Perth Motorplex with a strong field of the quickest Top Doorslammers in the country ready to face off.
The burgeoning Outlaw Radial class will be a highlight of the 46th annual Goldenstate Championships on November 9 at Perth Motorplex, with Ben Pisconeri’s stunning Ford Mustang expected to be one of the leading contenders.
Pisconeri’s testing pace has been on point, with a personal best pass of 7.62/180mph ahead of the opening round of the WA Drag Racing Championship points series.
“We think there is potential for some 7.5s and if we can do that we would be stoked,” he said. “We’d love to make the finals and to do that we just need reliability. Last season we had a lot of transmission and convertor issues.”
The transmission issues cited by Pisconeri saw a spectacular moment last season when a plume of smoke and liquid from underneath the car almost saw the Ford Mustang end up in the trackside walls.
“It split the transmission cooler and we were just lucky it happened in the first part of the track and not at the fast end,” he said.
Pisconeri’s Ford Mustang is one of the most unique in Australia, running a turbocharged four litre Intech six cylinder, as originally found in AU Falcons. The car itself is a 1965 model Mustang that belonged to Ben’s father Peter, which had been sitting in a shed.
“Dad wasn’t doing anything with the car so we decided to put one of my six cylinder combos in it and have a go,” Ben said. “The car was originally built in America, it is all steel and has all the glass, working indicators, lights and so on but it is not street registered here.
“My Dad used to race back in the Ravenswood days when I was a young fella, and I spent every second weekend at the drags. Ever since I got my licence I have been racing too, starting at the Wednesday night events for street cars.”
The Outlaw Radial drag racing division appealed to Pisconeri because of the ‘Chicago Shootout’ format. The racing is not handicapped, all cars race three times and the first to the finish line wins.
“We like being able to race all night, even if you’re not running so well, and it’s just a matter of taking on whoever lines you up and going the fastest you can,” he said.
The 46th Annual Goldenstate Championships will see sportsman qualifying begin from 10am on Saturday, November 9, with the feature program commencing from 5.30pm.
For more information and tickets head to the 46th Annual Goldenstates Website
The post Manic Mustang Makes Pisconeri an Outlaw Radial Contender appeared first on Perth Motorplex.
5. Kevin Boulton
Kevin Boulton has been a long time supporter of radial-tyre drag racing in WA and his latest investment into the class should see a major improvement in performance. Boulton’s Pontiac Trans Am now has 572 cubic inches of turbocharged muscle up front, which produced a dyno run of 1434hp in the off season. Those kinds of numbers should see him well into the sevens with speeds approaching 200mph – definitely enough to make him a contender in Outlaw Radial.
4. Danny Rickard
South Australia’s Danny Rickard plans to be a regular part of this season at Perth Motorplex on his stunning v-twin Nitro Bike. Rickard is a former ANDRA Modified Bike champion who decided he needed some nitro in his life and so has moved to this beautiful machine, which is capable of mid to low seven second runs. While Rickard initially purchased the bike in the USA, he is responsible for its current appearance, giving it a radical overhaul when it arrived in the country.
3. Steve Norman
There must be something in the water in SA, because our next ride to watch is another Croweater, this time Steve Norman and his Super Stock BMW. The D/GA-classed Euro coupe is the current record holder, thanks to its performance earlier in the year at the Westernationals. Well engineered inside and out, this car deserves a close look in the pits.
2. Kelvin Lyle
Fresh off a semi final appearance at East Coast Thunder at Sydney Dragway, Kelvin Lyle is hotfooting it back across the Nullarbor to make an appearance in the Blown Alcohol Bracket at the Goldenstate Championships. Lyle qualified second in Sydney with his new car with a 5.73 and then ran a second 5.73 in the semi finals, where unfortunately he lost on a holeshot to Ben Bray. Look out for Lyle to make it into the 5.6s back in Perth!
1. Connor McClure
Are you a Holden or a Ford fan? The McClure family has got you covered (or enraged) both ways with their Outlaw Radial Holden Torana featuring a turbocharged Ford Barra motor! This brightly coloured Torana has been getting a lot of attention on social media but so far has only been seen in the shed. The Goldenstate Championships will be the car’s first time on track and we are all looking forward to seeing what this green machine can do!
Fore Tickets and more information please visit the 46th Annual Goldenstates Website
The post Five Sweet Rides to Watch at the Goldenstate Championships! appeared first on Perth Motorplex.